Wednesday, December 18, 2013

"Lady Marmalade"


  
I named my little pots of delicious marmalade after this iconic timeless song by Labelle. Have a listen to it here - Labelle Lady Marmalade

This song conjures up so many great memories of our University Ser    ( serenade) group, where we placed 2nd in the Nationals. It was included into our medley (:


Now, as a child I used to cringe at the very sound of marmalade! But as my taste buds 'matured' ... or whatever,  I grew to love the slight bitterness and citrusy tang of marmalade on a crispy slice of toast.. with tea of course. (: This recipe uses naartjies/mandarins instead of oranges. It's delicious and not over bitter, even my friend Marike loved it .. ( and she doesn't like marmalade)

Again, I used my rice cooker. Alternatively, you could use a pressure cooker or a pot on the stove.

This recipe makes about 8 little ( 200 ml ) post of jam
As there is no pectin in this recipe, store in the fridge and use up in about 2 - 3 weeks.


All the loveliness inside :

8 naartjies / mandarins
1 kg white sugar
1 Liter water

THAT'S IT! REALLY (: You will be surprised how little it takes to make something so GOOOOD!

Method to the madness 

1. Wash naartjies / mandarins
2. DO NOT PEEL!! 
3. Cut the whole naartjie into thin strips, YES the pulp and rind and ALL!
4. Add to a rice cooker / pot.
5. Add the sugar and water. 
6. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour 30 min. Stir now and then


7. Boil for 10-13 minutes.
8. Do the plate test to check if your jam will set. ( Have a look at my previous post for this)

Bottle whilst still warm in sterilized bottles. Check out how here.






No comments:

Post a Comment